TATA Altroz – The story behind the name
You have an unnamed beast out there, who can sour a thousand miles without the mildest shift off the beat, who is as aesthetic on the inside as well as on the outside, who wouldn’t have a crack in his spine for the next 20 years. Now, what name would suit a disposition like this? Maybe Tata didn’t have much of a choice other than “Altroz” after the flying marvel “The Great albatross”.
And also, automobile companies are coming up with more innovative names for their products nowadays. They go far in order to connect with their target audience globally. Similarly, TATA’s first Premium Hatchback‘s name was inspired from the bird Albatross.
Albatrosses are highly efficient in the air, using their dynamic and slope soaring to cover great distances with little exertion. It is the only bird that can fly 10,000 miles without landing. And that’s what Altroz is going to give as well with more agility, performance, efficiency and futurism.
Notable Points in Altroz
- This is 45X concept final version.
- It is built on their all-new ALFA (for Agile, Light, Flexible, Advanced) architecture.
- BS6-compliant engines.
- Launch Date – January 22 2020.
- Engine Type – 1.2-litre petrol with 86PS/113Nm and 1.5-litre Diesel with 90PS/200Nm.
- Variants – XE, XM, XT, XZ, and XZ(O).
- Exterior Features – Halogen projected Headlamps, LED DRLs, Fog Lamps, wipers and with 16-inch Alloys.
- Interior Features – 7.0-inch Touchscreen with Apple carplay and Android Auto supported, voice commands, part digital cluster, ambient lights, front armrest, climate control, rear AC vents and cruise control.
- Safety Features – 2 Airbags with ABS and EBD, ISOFIX mounts, Adjustable rear headrests, auto headlamps/wipers and parking sensors front/rear.
- Price – Rs. 5-7 lakhs (est.) for Petrol and 6-8 lakhs (est.) for Diesel.
Also, we can expect an EV version of Altroz in mid-2020. It is likely to be a feature with a battery pack of 30kWh capacity that will offer a range of about 300kms on a single charge.
Let’s talk about the Global New Car Assessment Programme (Global NCAP) Crash Test Results
The All-New ALFA Architecture based out of Land Rover’s Engineering really helped Altroz to secure a perfect five and three-star rating in adult and child occupant safety respectively.
- Adult Occupant – It secured a spectacular five stars, scoring 16.13 points out of 17.
- Child Occupant – It secured three stars, scoring 29 points out of a potential 49.
Tata Altroz is country’s second Made-in-India car to have secured a perfect five in the adult occupant protection after the Tata Nexon, which is also one great product from TATA.
Tata Altroz will compete with Hyundai i20 Elite, Suzuki Baleno, Toyota Glanza and Honda Jazz. Looks like Altroz has a tough competition ahead, isn’t it?
Please check out the other top 5 options under 9 lakh price range. Click here to know more.
Do you think TATA’s all-new ALFA architecture will give them a good start in 2020? Let me know your views in the comments section.