How to make medu vada at home
The word medu in the medu vada literally means soft in both Kannada and Tamil language. Basically this word is attached to this dish, to describe softness yet the crispiness it has.
- MAKES: 10 People
- PREP. TIME: 30 Minutes
- TOTAL TIME: 1 Hour
- 1/2 Kg Urad Dal
- 100 gm. Raw Rice / 50 gm. Rice Flour
- 1 small tbsp. of Salt
- 7 – 8 pieces of Shallots / Small Onions Sliced
- 1 tbsp. of Cumin Seeds
- 10 Pieces of Pepper
- 1 small Green Chilli
- 10 Leaves of Curry Leaves
- 1/2 ltr. of Mustard Oil/Groundnut Oil
- 1 Small Cups of Water
- Initially take 1/2 kg of Urad Dal in a bowl with full of water and soak it for 30 Minutes at least. In the meantime we can chop the onions and Green chillis and curry leaves.
- If you are using raw rice you can soak it along with the urad dal. ( People who are using rice flour you can mix the flour later with the urad dal batter ).
- Once the soaking is done, pass the urad dal and raw rice mix to the grinder and add 1 tbsp. of salt. Grind it by adding sprinkles of water for every 3 minutes.
- Grind it for 15 minutes in total.
- Make sure you make the batter in a thick state. If it’s goes too loose, you will not get the vada shape.
- Now Add the below ingredients in a bowl : Pass the batter from the grinder to a big bowl and add the rice flour ( if you are not using raw rice ) and add sliced onions, Green Chilli, Pepper, Cumin Seeds and curry leaves altogether and mix it well and leave it for 2-3 Minutes.
- Once its done, Keep a big pan into the stove and add 1/2 ltr. of Mustard Oil/Groundnut Oil and wait for it to get the frying temperature.
- In the meantime, get a small square shape banana leaf ( base to make the vada shape ) and take some good amount of batter to the banana leaf and make a round shape ( like a doughnut ) with a hole in the centre.
- Now gently flip the batter from the banana leaf to the oil and fry it in medium flame. Fry on both sides till they turn golden brown and crisp
Yoo ! It’s done. Simple Isn’t it ? ..
Crispy and Soft Indian Doughnut is Ready to serve now.
Finally, serve the hot medu vada / Ulunthu vada either with Coconut Chutney / Peanut Chutney or sambar of your choice.
Do try this recipe at your home and let us know your comments below.
Follow JUST A LIBRARY for more interesting multi-domain contents.