How to make Vazhakkai varuval / Plantain fry recipe
Here is another signature dish from the Madurai Cuisine! Vazhakai (plantain) fried in the style of a fish fry!! Once again signifies the bold flavours of Madurai!! Here’s how you can prepare a Madurai Special Vazhakkai varuval recipe. If you have missed our previous Madurai special recipes, click here!
Caution : You might keep cooking vazhakkai in this style in repeat mode after trying it once!!!
- Vazhakkai (Plantain) – 1 big sized
- Cinnamon stick
- Cloves – 7 to 8 Nos.
- Cardamom – 3 to 4 Nos.
- Garlic – 4 to 5 cloves
- Fennel seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Chilly powder – 1 Tablespoon ( Can adjust accordingly to your spice preference)
- Salt – As required
- Oil – for frying
- Peel the skin of the plantain and cut into pieces like shown in image
- Deep fry these plantain pieces in oil
- Make paste of garlic, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom and fennel seeds
- Add turmeric powder, chilly powder and salt to this mixture.
- In a pan, heat oil and add the grounded paste
- After a minute, add the fried plantain pieces and keep frying until the plantain absorbs the paste and becomes crispy
- Our delicious Vazhakkai Varuval (Plaintain fry) is ready!!!!
- You can adjust the number of spices in accordance with the quantity of the plantain. The measurement mentioned here is for one nice big vazhakkai (Plantain) which would serve 4 people
- You can bake the plantain instead of deep frying if preferred
- Vazhakkai varuval goes well with curd rice, or sambar etc..
- Do not forget to share the pictures when you try our recipes! For more awesome recipes from JUST A LIBRARY, CLICK HERE!!