Madurai Special Veg | Vazhaipoo Kola Urundai (Banana Blossom Balls)
This is yet another delicious recipe from the kitchens of Madurai to yours under the “Madurai Special Veg Series”. If you had missed out on our previous recipes or the love story between Madurai and Veg food, check it here.
Did you realize that almost all the parts of a Banana tree are used by us either to eat or to serve? Here is a healthy but tasty recipe with the Banana Blossom. The best part of this recipe is that you do not feel the sour taste of the Banana Blossom yet you get all the health benefits.
Trivia: Mutton Kola Urundai (Mutton balls) is one of the very famous dishes in Madurai. This particular recipe carries the same flavour but made with Vazhaipoo (Banana Blossom).
- Vazhaipoo (Banana Blossom) – 1 No.
- Onions – 1 medium-sized
- Curry leaves – 1 teaspoon chopped
- Garlic – 1 Big clove
- Fennel seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Roasted Channa Dhal (Pottu kadalai) – 100 gms
- Chilly powder – 2 teaspoon
- Curd – 1 teaspoon
- Salt as required
- Oil for frying
- Clean the banana blossom. In a pan boil the cleaned banana blossom florets in water with 1 teaspoon curd in it. The florets will be cooked in 5 minutes approx
- Drain the water well from the boiled florets
- Make a paste of the boiled florets and garlic cloves
- Grind the Roasted Channa Dhal (Pottu kadalai) and Fennel seeds into a fine powder
- In a mixing bowl, add the banana blossom paste, the ground powder, chilly powder, finely chopped onions, finely chopped curry leaves, salt and mix well
- Make small sized balls to deep fry
- Deep fry the balls in medium heat (keep the flame in medium heat so that the balls are cooked well inside)
- Healthy & Delicious Vazhaipoo Kola (Banana Blossom balls) is ready!! Serve it hot for better taste!!
- Click here to know how to clean a banana blossom
- Drain the water completely from the boiled florets else the florets paste will become very soggy. This will cause difficulty in making the kola balls
- If the mixture to make the kola balls is watery then add extra roasted channa dhal powder or gram flour to bring the required consistency
Try this out at your home and let us know your feedback and queries in the comments section. Do not forget to share the pictures when you try our recipes. Do check other recipe articles – Click here.
Follow Just A Library for more interesting contents.